Plant It Tampa Bay
The fishtail palm was named for its unusual leaves - shaped like a jagged fish's tail - which form thick, swirled layers of ruffled fronds.
Fishtails are clustering palms that grow dense and full.
They can be used as privacy screens - especially while they're young - and create a draping mass of deep green leaves among large trunks as they age.
Many homeowners opt for growing a fishtail in an area where they've been considering clumping bamboo.
It won't spread as much or grow as fast as bamboo, but gives the same kind of tropical look and privacy.
Fishtails are considered deer-resistant (though we make no promises).
- These palms are a great choice for natural privacy screening.
- Not just another pretty face, the dramatic palm can double duty as a spectacular tropical privacy screen.
- Fast growers for sun and shade & can reach heights of 15 to 20 feet and more.
- Zone 10 is best, though winter in warmers areas or Zone 9B that border 10A, you can use an Areca in a protected spot. You may see leaf tip burn after most winters, even in Zone 10. Areca are clustering palms.
WE ONLY SHIP TO LOCAL FL COUNTIES (Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee and Pasco Counties ONLY)
6 + Hours best
Height : 30 Plus
Wide: 8 - 10'
Growth Rate: Fast
Plant Spacing: 12' - 18'
Pet Friendly - yes
Caring for a Foxtail Palm tree involves several key steps to ensure its health and vitality:
1. Sunlight: Foxtail Palms thrive in full sun to partial shade. Ensure they receive at least 6 to 8 hours of direct sunlight each day for optimal growth and to maintain their vibrant green fronds.
2. Watering: While Foxtail Palms are drought-tolerant once established, they still require regular watering, especially during the hot summer months. Water deeply and thoroughly, allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Avoid overwatering, as it can lead to root rot.
3. Soil: Foxtail Palms prefer well-draining soil. Ensure the soil is loose and loamy, with good drainage. If the soil in your area is heavy or clay-like, consider amending it with organic matter to improve drainage.
4. Fertilization: Apply a balanced palm fertilizer specifically formulated for palm trees. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates and timing. Fertilize in spring and summer to promote healthy growth and vibrant fronds.
5. Pruning: Foxtail Palms generally do not require extensive pruning. Remove any dead or damaged fronds as needed. Avoid excessive pruning, as it can weaken the tree and impact its overall appearance.
6. Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the palm, leaving a few inches of space around the trunk. Mulching helps retain moisture, regulate soil temperature, and suppress weed growth.
7. Protection from Cold: Foxtail Palms are sensitive to cold temperatures and frost. If you live in a region with occasional cold snaps, consider protecting the palm with frost cloth or bringing it indoors during extreme cold spells.
By following these care guidelines, you can ensure that your Foxtail Palm remains healthy, vibrant, and a beautiful addition to your landscape. Regular monitoring and attention to its needs will help it thrive for years to come.