Plant It Tampa Bay
Blue Evolvulus (Blue My Mind)
The Blue Daze manageable growth rate and easy-to-grow habit make it second to none. The Blue Daze can thrive nearly anywhere, from coastal areas to containers. And it even impresses as a flowery groundcover in growing zones 9-11 to add eye-catching flair to bare corners of your landscape.
6 + Hours best
Height : 10-12"
Wide: 18 - 24"
Growth Rate: Fast
Plant Spacing: 12" - 18"
Pet Friendly - yes
Blue My Mind
The eye catching, brilliantly hued, true blue flowers of this sun loving plant create a striking accent in the landscape. Plant en masse for even greater effect. Blooms summer to fall atop silvery green leaves.
Perfect for a cascading hangs over the edge patio planter or window box. An herbaceous outdoor perennial for USDA Zones 9 to 11 only, grow as an annual in all other Zones and replace each year.
Drought tolerant, thriving in garden hot spots that threaten less sun tolerant plants. Grows 9 in. to 18 in. tall x 36 in. W, gradually forming a non aggressive, sprawling mound. Use as a border plant, ground cover, in hanging baskets or as a spiller in mixed containers.
- Long time impactful garden favorite
- Gorgeous true blue flowers atop gray green foliage
- Non vining plant with a sprawling habit
- Flowers bloom during the day, closing on cloudy days
- Site in a hot sunny area
- Grows best in fertile, well drained soil
- Drought tolerant
- Blooms best in full sun
- Salt tolerant, good option for coastal gardens
Evolvulus glomeratus works well for any spaces that need to be filled in or even as a background cover meant to accent taller flowers. While it’s beautiful on its own or hung in planters, it’s when planted in huge borders or in large areas that this stunning plant really shines. If there’s enough of it, it quite literally looks like one giant carpet of dazzling blue flowers, which some even consider hypnotic, hence the name “blue daze.”
This plant has many different planting or landscaping options, including:
- Container planting
- Ground cover
- Large areas
- Alpine gardens
- Coastal/saltwater gardens
- Edging or borders
- Mass planting
Blue Evolvulus, also known as Blue My Mind, is a beautiful flowering plant known for its vibrant blue flowers and heat tolerance. Here's how to plant and care for it:
1. Planting: Choose a location that receives full sun, as Blue Evolvulus thrives in bright light. The soil should be well-draining. Dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball. Place the plant in the hole, making sure the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface. Backfill the hole with soil, firming it gently around the base of the plant.
2. Watering: Water the plant thoroughly after planting. Blue Evolvulus is drought-tolerant once established, but it will need regular watering during the first few weeks or until it's well-established. After that, water when the top inch of soil feels dry to the touch.
3. Fertilizing: Feed the plant with a balanced, slow-release fertilizer in the spring and again in mid-summer. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for application rates.
4. Pruning: Prune the plant in early spring to encourage bushier growth. You can also deadhead spent flowers to encourage more blooms.
5. Mulching: Apply a layer of organic mulch around the base of the plant to help conserve moisture and suppress weeds. Be sure to leave a gap around the stem to prevent rot.
6. Overwintering: Blue Evolvulus is not frost-tolerant. If you live in a colder climate, consider growing it in a container that can be brought indoors during the winter.
7. Pests and Diseases: Watch out for common pests like aphids and spider mites. If you notice any infestations, treat them promptly with an appropriate insecticidal soap or neem oil spray.
By following these care guidelines, you can ensure that your Blue Evolvulus remains healthy, vibrant, and a beautiful addition to your garden or landscape. Regular attention to watering, light, and proper drainage will help your plant thrive.